Monday, March 2, 2009

Orange Cardamom Madelines

Have to be my favorite so far. I've never used cardamom before. I got a packet of pods at world market a while back, and decided it was time to break them out.



I know you can buy ground cardamom, but I went a head and ground this myself in a mortar and pestle. I hope that the immediate release of the essential oils has a good impact on the flavor. It's strong, but I like it. The silly thing is that this recipe is completely different than the one for the lemon madelines. This entailed no cake flour, just regular flour, and instead of the creaming of butter and sugar, I was instructed to use melted butter and mix with sugar and egg.



After the batter was mixed- it also required a rest of about 30 minutes. Then into the pan for baking.



Once out of the oven, I covered in an orange glaze of juice, rind and confectioners sugar. It was more like a syrup. I think mine could have used more sugar, to thicken, but the end result was actually more like a syrup soaked cake. Very very tasty.


I loved the taste. My only issue was the consistency. It didn't quite hold a shape, and had a bit of a fried waffly taste. I would have liked if they looked a little nicer, but as they tasted that good, I'm willing to overlook :)

No comments: