Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Russe Cigarettes

They look so beautiful in the photo. I had to try them. The prep work is very simple. You make a waffle batter of sorts with a whole lot of confectioners sugar. I have to guess that if you fried this you'd get some kind of hybrid doughnut, funnel cake concoction. As funnel cake is one of my all time favorite foods, I was pretty excited about the consistency of my batter once it had set in the fridge for a couple of hours

Funnel Cookie here I come.

Next step is to spread batter on silipat. Here's where I'd suggest you deviate somewhat from the recipe, and you'll see why later. Were I to make these again (and I probably will tomorrow), I'd use half the amount of batter per cookie as called for by the recipe and spread as wide to give a much thinner crispier cookie.

After baking for just 6 minutes each sheet, you've got to work quick, and try not to mind the hot cookie on your fingertips.





As you can see, these were just a bit to thick to role as tightly as pictured- hence my previous advice.



Once they're cooled a bit, dip in some melted chocolate, and let cool completely or enjoy immediately. Scott did with some milk (the later that is), and so did I. So what if they don't look like the photo in the book ;)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Although these may not have turned out exactly the way the cook envisioned, I thought they tasted terrific! The thicker texture added to the flavor, and while they weren't crunchy like the Pepperidge Farm variery, I enjoyed the softer, thicker consistency --especially while dunking into a glass of milk. Bring on more Funnel Cookies! These were one of my favorites.