Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Sarah Bernhardt Cookies

Holy moly, these are slooooppy! The first couple of steps were a breeze, then, similar to the marshmallow surprises, the frosting process proved a difficult task.

These are explained as a "truffle" of a cookie. A firm cookie, topped with a mousse of sorts, then dipped in chocolate. The recipe suggests starting with the filling mousse- a good idea since it's supposed to set in the fridge for about an hour before you use it. It's just simple syrup, egg yolk and melted chocolate folded into an egg white mixture. No sweat.





The cookie part is an almond wafer- just almost paste and egg white, extract, some salt and sugar. Easy peezy, lemon squeezy.





The wafer dough gets piped and baked, topped with the mousse, then into the freezer.



At this point, they need to set. Luckily for me, my husband arrives home just as I'm closing the freezer door so I don't have a chance to polish off the leftover mousse filling before dinner. While the filling sets, I grill up some shrimp, orange pepper and boil some orzo. It's a nice summer dish for this cold crappy winter night. The noreaster hit us hard and it is disgusting outside. Ice everywhere, not even a convenient place to walk the dog.

Anyway...we hang around the table after dinner discussing our planned workouts for the week, trying to outweigh the guilt of an impending chocolate binge.

Once the dishes are in the washer, I melt the rest of the chocolate (for dipping).



This is where things get a little tricky. Recipe calls for a chocolate fork. I own a lot of forks, but none of them are chocolate.

I did a combo of dipping and drizzling. This worked ok for the first 6 or so. The chocolate hardens pretty quickly on contact with the frozen mousse. The next 6 were a bit harder, and messier. After that, I felt the mousse was thawing a bit much to continue, so I stuck them back in the refrigerator, and tried to warm the chocolate a bit more.

I must have gotten some water in my choc, because it hardened up and congealed. I had to melt down my back up dipping chocolate (good thing I keep some of that around.) Needless to say, the cookies dipped in the alternative chocolate didn't turn out quite so well, and Scott ended up eating about 2 sans delicious chocolate shell.

Although sloppy, they taste amazing. The combo of chewy almond wafer with mousse and chocolate shell is divine. They are extremely rich, though. I'd pair with a nice tall cool Budweiser...I mean glass of milk.


3 posts in 3 days- it's a new record!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

These cookies were as messy to eat as they looked like they were to bake. The almond cookie base was delicious, and all the chocolate on top complimented it well. It was probably my second favorite after the Chocolate Surprise Cookies.