Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Macaroons, Macaroons and More Macaroons

Sorry this is a bit late. I made this triple play of cookies last weekend, but hadn't gotten around to putting it up until now. So here we go...

This has to be the easiest recipe in the book. It's just coconut, (I used flaked coconut as opposed to the shredded called for in the recipe- I feared the shredded would produce a stringier consistency)

egg white,



vanilla and a pinch of salt. Sooo easy!


Shaping these guys was a bit of a task. The only binding they have is the egg white, and not a lot at that. You have to have a pretty light hand to keep them airy, but it does require some packing so they don't just crumble apart in the oven.



I made a full batch and split into three different varieties. Plain, chocolate chip, which is made by simply adding some bittersweet chunked chocolate to the mixture before forming, and straight up chocolate. Made by melting some butter and cocoa powder. After the oven for 20 minutes or so, they look perfect!


Being so super simple, I had some doubts about this recipe. I tasted after they came out of the oven and again the next day. Initially, they were a bit dry, and surprisingly after a day or so, seemed to soften, perhaps from the storage Glad I was using. All in all, I've had better macaroons. I felt like I was just eating handfuls of coconut out of the bag. The flaked coconut seemed a better idea than the shredded, but i think it could have been an even finer ground. I might try food processing it next time.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

The coconut will make-or-break this recipe for people like me on the receiving end. I've long been neutral on coconut - love it as a topping or garnish on desserts, but not so keen on it when it overpowers the food. With that in mind, these cookies are for true coconut lovers. There's not a whole lot of substance to the macaroons beyond the coconut. Other store-bought macaroons I've had recently generally upped the cookie component and downplayed the coconut. I find that mix preferable to Martha's design here. I will say, I found the chocolate chip version more tasty than the original, but was not terribly impressed with this recipe.